Tuesday 15 July 2014

Ash wins prestigous Sky prize at New Designers Show

PCA graduate Ash Henderson clinched a prestigous prize at New Designers - the London graduate show for aspiring illustrators, artists and designers of the future.






The 21 year-old was awarded the New Designers Sky Award of £1,000 and a month's internship at Sky Creative, one of the UK’s largest media studios.
Using the theme of the world’s disappearing species, Ash designed an interactive educational experience for children aged four to 10 that uses thermochromic materials to reveal a hidden message. 
As a viewer interacts with the piece through heat, it exposes the message that then disappears, creating a concept about endangered species.

The judges said: “This is a brilliantly simple visual interpretation on the subject of endangered species.  Ash’s elegant heat-responsive graphics push the boundaries of the medium.”
After receiving the award Ash, from Grimsby, said: “It’s very overwhelming. I was shocked. I didn’t expect it at all. When they first said my name I didn’t hear it properly but everyone on my course just started jumping on me. It hasn’t sunk in at all.
“I didn’t have a clue that was the prize to begin with... It’s great! This is exactly what I wanted to do [at New Designers]. I want to get opportunities in the industry. 
“I didn’t expect it would be with someone as big as Sky though – huge! I think I’ll learn a lot on the internship. Sky’s a big company and it’s at their creative headquarters. I’ve done live briefs before and an internship but this is a step up.”

Ash’s project is called Now You See Us Now You Don’t. He had experimented with a range of materials before he discovered the use of thermochromics, the application of heat to a surface to display a hidden image. 
The product provides an educational experience, using thermochromic crystal liquidised sheets which when heat is applied reveals the colourful design behind it.

He said: ‘I’m hoping it can be used as an educational tool and I’m in the process of pitching it as a product to zoos around the country.’
And he was full of praise for the encouragement he received during his three years at Plymouth College of Art. 
He said: ‘The college has been great. You truly get more out of it than you could ever expect. It’s got a lot. You grow a bond with your lecturers and they’re always there to help you out. And the college drives you more.
“What I love about Plymouth College of Art is that you can be as creative as you like. You can experiment with lots of different materials and use so many facilities – screen-printing, laser cutting, 3D printing and loads more. 
“Networking with different people is great – different courses within the college. It’s useful to get a different eye on things. And if you need someone like a photographer for something you’re working on, it’s easy to meet them and they’re happy to help. I could go on and on.”